My normal Saturday morning includes waking early, and driving into Denver with my husband to pick up my produce box from 5280 Produce. We then have a “breakfast date” at one of the many local breakfast spots close by. This amazing company is doing a great service to the food desert of Northern Denver. What you see in the picture was $25. Pricing it out at a local grocery store/farmer’s market would cost between $50-60. With two kids in college and a wedding being planned, anyway that I can save pennies is a blessing. This week, the box included:
- 3 cucumbers
- 4 avocados
- 2 large heads of romaine lettuce
- 2 bunches of celery
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 10 pounds of russet potatoes
- 1 package of kale salad (one of my favorites)
- 1 Hubbard squash
- 1 ginger root
- 1 2-pound bag of vegetable medley
- 3 large red onions
- 4 large navel oranges
- 1 3-pound bag of golden delicious apples
- 1 watermelon
- 1 pound of kiwis
- 2 pounds of grapes
- 4 pears
- 1 pound of cherries
The fruit will be devoured by Wednesday in lunches and for snacks.
I also picked up their meat bundle offered by Wheatridge Poultry and Meats. It was 8 one-pound packages of ground beef. $25. I picked up two, and now I have a ground beef stock, along with my chicken stash, and Wilbur (our pig,) ready for meal planning.
I don’t think I forgot anything. All I know is that I have a lot of planning to do for my dinner menu for next week. It’ll probably be a heavy soup and salad week. I also see a stir fry in my future using the ginger root and vegetable medley. The Hubbard squash has me bamboozled, though. I’ve never cooked one, let alone buy one! I’ve been searching Pinterest looking for recipes, and I think I’ve found a few to use up the Hubbard Squash.
I use my Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker at least twice a week. It’s become my favorite new small appliance. I cook black beans from dry for recipes. It also makes perfect rice. I prefer it to a rice cooker only because I’d rather have one appliance versus two.
So far on my dinner menu is:
- Spaghetti Squash and Spaghetti Squash, roasted carrots (from the vegetable medley) and Romaine Salad
- Chipotle Chicken Hubbard Squash Soup * with Kale Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower and Potato Soup (Cauliflower from the vegetable medley and substituting 1/2 of a red onion for the leeks and the russet potatoes for the Yukon Gold in the recipe)
- Healthy Taco Salad*
- Garlic Ginger Chicken Stir Fry (I’ll pull out some of the broccoli florets of the Vegetable Medley and use some red onion) with Brown Rice
- Pumpkin Paleo Chili (I’m substituting the Hubbard Squash for the pumpkin)
*Uses black beans that I made from dry using this electric crock pot recipe.
I’m also going to try out making
Any squash I have left over I’ll put in freezer bags to use later. I’ll also bake some potatoes to have for lunches to go along with any leftovers.
Can’t wait to experiment with the Hubbard Squash! Thanks, 5280 Produce for stretching this cook!